You're a Good, Good Father

by - Friday, June 17, 2016

"Oh, and I've seen many searching for answers far and wide
But I know we're all searching
For answers only you provide
Cause you know just what we need
Before we say a word."
- Chris Tomlin, Good Good Father

Suzie Timbreza

I am not always cheesy or affectionate when it comes to my Papa. I think its because we spent most of our childhood with our mother. My Papa is always out to work from day to night. Sometimes until dawn. Then he started to work abroad. It will take 2 years and then he will be back for months then go back to work again. Most of the time he missed important milestones of our lives.

Still I admire him. He is one of the bravest and courageous person I know.

Growing up he is very strict. I think its his protective instinct that keeps kicking in. I grew up with highest regard, fear and obedience to him. When he is angry I can feel the fear of getting scolded or spanked rushing through my veins. Like what I said he is a strict and traditional Filipino father who always instill discipline in the household.

With all the things he did for me, for us. I know I still have those ungrateful moments. There were times I wished that my life is different. That I am a different person. And then I got married and started my own family. Reality showed me how blessed I am.

From all the things I learned from Papa I chose these 5 things that until now I cherish and live through.

First, always save.
"Wealth gained hastily will dwindle, but whoever gathers little by little will increase it." - Proverbs 13:11


Suzie Timbreza
When I am around eight. One day Papa showed me a do-it-yourself project. He told me that we are not rich with material things so if I want something I need to save for that and also save for days that we don't expect. He took an empty bottle of Johnson's baby powder and made a slot at the back of it so I can drop coins and bills inside it. I think it became my habit of looking for empty bottles like this to make my own coin bank.

Second, study and stay at school.
"For the protection of wisdom is like the protection of money, and the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the life of him who has it." - Ecclesiastes 7:12

I am proud of what my Papa does for living. Despite her incomplete academic skills he is able to raised us, sent us to school and bought us things we want. Not everything we want but still he did his best to make us happy. He told me that when he was young he never thought life will be different when he grow up so he skipped school. He doesn't want us to do the same. It inspired me to study hard and do my best in school.

Third, always have a goal and achieve it.
"I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" - Philippians 3:14

Our family is like one of those families that competes with each other. My Mama will always tell us that we should be like our cousins, she is smart, she is in the star section, she is this, she is that. My Papa is different. He always remind me to have a goal. Keep dreaming and do all you can to achieve it. When I was in grade school I started in the lower section. I told myself someday I will be in the star section. This is how I climb the ladder to success. While climbing I made sure that I am listed in the top of our class.

Grade One - Section Eleven, Nay
Grade Two - Section Ten, Yay! Seventh Honor
Grade Three - Section Ten,  Yay! First Honor!!!
Grade Four - Section Six, Yay! Fourth Honor
Grade Five - Section Six, Yay! Fifth Honor
Grade Six - Section Five, Yay! Second Honor
Freshmen Year - Section Three! Yay! Not sure but between third to fifth honor
Sophomore Year - Section Two! Yay! Not sure between third to fifth honor, Third Placer Biology Quiz Bee
Junior Year - Section One!!!!! Yay!!!! 
Fourth Year - Section One!!! 

Suzie Timbreza


Fourth,  never let anyone tell you or treat you bad because of your background.
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" - Galatians 3:28
 
Well, the world is not full of good people. There are still those who will step down on you and judge you because of your background. I received a lot of that while growing up. To overcome these cruel things I always think of my Papa. He is twenty three years older than me. He already experienced a lot but still he showed kindness to everyone. He still face them with a smile and no hurt feelings. He go with his life not carrying any bitterness towards others. If he can do that why shouldn't I? right?

Fifth, always keep your faith close to your heart and live in it.
"For from him and through him and for him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen." - Romans 11:36

Around 9 years old, my Papa worked for a family. They are all Christians and the head of the family is a Pastor. My Papa started reading the bible and going to their church every Sunday. Until even Wednesday for bible study. We felt annoyed because he is starting to change his ways. He always bring a bible and wakes up very early to read the bible and pray. One day he asked us to go to church with him but we didn't. In all fairness to Papa he did not insist or drag us. Until one day my Mama and youngest sister went with him. Then me and my other sister. Until all of us never fail a Sunday. My parents accepted Jesus as their savior and Lord and got baptized. So are we. 

Of all these things I am thankful that my Papa lead us to Jesus. It's not about religion. It's about the faith and relationship that we have with God. Because of my faith I become grounded to the values taught by my parents.

Suzie Timbreza

This Sunday we are all honoring our fathers for all the love, care and sacrifices they did for us, their children. I would like to take this opportunity to thank my Papa.

"Papa I am not a perfect daughter because your are not perfect as well. These imperfections made us perfect for each other. We have a lot of good and bad moments but at the end we chose to laugh and live in the moment. Thank you for not giving up on us. We four brought you and Mama the whirlwind of emotions. Words are not enough and even hugs and kisses won't fill the greatest things you have done. We will still argue. We will still laugh. Too much drama right? Still I bring back all the glory and thanksgiving to God for giving us a Papa Fred. When the time is right and Julianna already have the best of understanding with everything I will tell her the stories and wisdom you shared to me when I am still your princess. Those wisdom that mold me and made me the queen that God desired me to be. Thank you Papa. I love you and God bless you."

Suzie Timbreza

I found this cute video of a little boy moved to tears as her mother sings her Good Good Father.


For God, Papa Fred, Daddy Jarvey, Daddy Jansun and all the Good Good Fathers in the world.




Much Love,
Suzie

You May Also Like

0 Comments