My Postpartum Depression Story

by - October 16, 2015

Hello everyone!

Recently I read an article about Mental Issues and there is something said by Hayden Panettiere about postpartum depression and anxiety. To give you an idea,  Postpartum depression or baby blues can begin any time during the first two months after giving birth. Symptoms may include:

  • Irritability or hypersensitivity
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Anxiety and worry
  • Crying or tearfulness
  • Anger
  • Negative feelings such as sadness, hopelessness, helplessness, or guilt
  • Loss of interest in activities you usually enjoy
  • Difficulty sleeping (especially returning to sleep)
  • Fatigue or exhaustion
  • Changes in appetite or eating habits
  • Headaches, stomachaches, muscle or backaches

Some women with PPD believe they can't adequately care for their baby or may harm their baby.

In my case, I experience all the symptoms indicated above. One scenario is I easily get mad at my husband about little things. I gave birth via Caesarian Section so it made my anxiety worse. I cried in the bathroom and sometimes when I am alone in the room. When somebody says women who gave birth via CS are weak, it pissed me off easily and get angry. Then negative thoughts will come into my mind which made me more sad and helpless.

The hardest thing to accept was when I cannot breastfeed my baby. I was only able to do this for 3 months with minimal milk. I have my pump, breast pads, maternity bra, storage items. I have them all ready before my baby arrive but when I try to breastfeed her it took me longer and its not plenty enough. Then I heard people saying "how good breastfeeding is and how happy they are that they can do it for their babies","you should breastfeed your baby", etc..I become emotional and sometimes tend to be respond angrily to those people who does not understand where I am coming from. It is so easy for them to comment without thinking what could have happen that lead to this. They are so insensitive.
                        
When I become helpless I usually do is to look at my baby. Then I pray. I always pray to God that whatever this demon is doing to me to please take it away. I also seek for support from my husband. My depression lasted for almost 3 months. Up to now I still find myself depressed but the difference is I can get over it immediately.

My piece of advice to everyone who knows someone who just gave birth is to be at their best sensitive self. Never blab and compare your motherhood experience to someone who just recently jump into the knives of death to bring out their baby. Just give all the support and positive feedback to these mothers. Do not act like you are the subject matter of life. If you have nothing good to say just zip your mouth and stay quiet.

Did you experience this anxiety before? Share your thoughts by commenting down below.

Thank you for reading!

You May Also Like

0 comments