Let's Talk PCOS

by - May 25, 2017

Our Mother's Day OOTD
"Ang taba mo... magpapayat ka nga..."

"Ano ba yan? Bakit ganyan ka na?"

"Buntis ka ba? Ang taba mo"
 
These are the remarks I always get whenever someone I know see me. Sometimes I brush it off. Sometimes it makes me want to cry. Sometimes it makes me want to strangle that person and tell him or her to mind your own business. 


circa 2010

Oh well... Let me tell you my story. Once upon a time my weight never get bigger than 45 kilograms or 97 pounds. This has been my weight since high school and until I am 23 years old. The changes in my body started to show back in 2013.

circa 2013

November 2013, I did not had my period which is okay because I have irregular cycles. I do not panic about it since that is how it goes. Then I noticed that I have acne in my forehead and chin which is not the usual. On my wedding week I have my period and it ran for I guess two weeks. Still I did not do anything about it since that is how things goes with my cycle.

Come in New Year of 2014. Things looks normal to me. Although I noticed changes with my physique and excessive hair growing in my legs. I still did not panic. Then time came that I missed my period for January. 

Since I want to be sure if I am already pregnant I took a pregnancy test. I took it twice that month. A week after the other. All is negative. So I just go on with my life. No worries. Nothing at all.

Come in February. I mentioned to my Mom that I missed my period so she told me to go to an OB-Gyne for a checkup. I did and the doctor advised me to undergo TransVaginal Ultrasound. After the ultrasound I went back immediately to the doctor. 

She broke the news and told me that I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. I am clueless as to what it is. She told me that I only have one functioning ovary and it may stop anytime soon. I ask her how will that affect me. And the sad part she said is I might not get pregnant. 

Part of getting married is having and raising kids. That is a dream and I do not want it to fade and never get to reality. She gave me medicines on how it could be fix. For I believe two weeks I am depressed and stressed. 

So what is PCOS?

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common endocrine system disorder among women of reproductive age. Women with PCOS may have enlarged ovaries that contain small collections of fluid — called follicles — located in each ovary as seen during an ultrasound exam.

Infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods, excess hair growth, acne, and obesity can all occur in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. In adolescents, infrequent or absent menstruation may raise suspicion for the condition.

The exact cause of polycystic ovary syndrome is unknown. Early diagnosis and treatment along with weight loss may reduce the risk of long-term complications, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease. As per MayoClinic.

PCOS nowadays is common to many women. I believe this disorder must be given enough attention. Educating not just the women but also the men. This is not a joke or something we can sweep under the rug. Its complications can be truly serious.

In my experience, I always have irregular period so I did not expect I will have this syndrome. The OB-GYN gave me medication. I cannot remember the name but its supposed to help me with my cycle and menstruation. If in the process I get pregnant the baby will hold stronger.

Two weeks of medication and continuous prayer. I got pregnant!

March 23, 2014, I announced my pregnancy
November 11, 2014
I advise everyone to take your menstrual health seriously. There is no definite cause yet of PCOS but prevention of its complication can be done. Consult your doctor right away if you see one of these symptoms:

  • Irregular period
  • Excessive facial and body hair
  • Severe acne
  • Sudden weight gain
I hope my story will also help others to understand PCOS and what women like me is experiencing right now.

Thank you for reading and God bless you!

You May Also Like

0 comments