{ Mommy Diaries Vol.1 } The Perfect Parent Trap

by - September 14, 2016

I am watching this very entertaining series in Disney Channel entitled Stuck in the Middle last night and I realized I want to share my thoughts on the pressure of perfect parent trap. It is narrated by the middle child Harley Diaz. The series is about the life of the Diaz Family. Their huge family with seven kids and two quirky and cool parents. Watch the show and you will know why I said it.


I have been a parent for twenty-two months now and believe me for saying that this is the time I am most watched. What am I watched for? For being a parent and expectant to be perfect. Let me site some examples.


There was this time I was embarrassed by a stranger who have a professional type of livelihood for having a different complexion from my daughter. I really can't believe why there are people who dislike a darker color of skin when we all know that we are all Filipino and natural for us to have this kind of complexion. They have this cliché that beauty is only for the fair and mestizas.  I just rolled my eyes after her remarks and swear to never give her place a visit.


Another is when my daughter is sick. Some judged me that I am not giving the proper care my daughter deserves. I want to tell them to shut up and mind their own business. It is true that the least people who knows you judge you the most.


Last of my rant is the bottle-feeding issue. Yes for some who are very close-minded and assume to be the perfect parent of all time. Bottle-feeding is a crime. I am tired of always explaining my story in every smirk and eyes rolled. Give me a break. First-time Moms are all the same. They are all figuring out the world of Parenthood. Breastfeeding and bottle-feeding have one thing in common. They are both feeding babies so quit judging.


"Train up a child in the way she should go; and when she is old, she will not depart from it."
- Proverbs 22:6

In the past twenty-two months I gained maturity on my new role as a mom. I already graduated from being a mom of a baby and now my hands are full nurturing a toddler. They said that raising a child requires a village. Well yes that is true. And I am thankful for all the help I received from the past months.

Like Tom and Suzy Diaz they received a lot of remarks from different people. Mostly judging their parenting and family. The cool thing about them is they brush them off and focus mainly on their kids. In the episode Stuck with Mom's New Friend, Suzy realized and told Bethany that there's no such thing as perfect and whatever her kids decides to do she will still love them. 

As parents we should never let this pressure of perfect parent trap get the best out of us. I never did and will never be. We always have the room we need to improve ourselves. Insecure people will keep putting us down and if we let them they will surely succeed.

So for new parents and parents-to-be let me share the things I learned from my experience.

You can welcome mistakes
Nobody is perfect and experience is the best teacher. When your decision turned bad. Do not beat yourself too much and hold on it. Mistakes teach us a lot and the process of learning may be long but trust me it is all worth it.

Don't feel less from asking help
As much as possible get all the help you want. Every parent wants to give the best to their kids and sometimes our hands are full that we need extra.

Your kids will always love you no matter what
The only one who have the right to judge you is your child and they will never hate you the way others do. We will always be their superhero.

You May Also Like

0 comments